Saturday Surfing, June 9th, 2018 (The Birthday Edition)
Hiya! Happy Saturday from Monterey, California! This is the face of a blissed-out birthday lady who just had an hour-long deep-tissue massage.
I said “peace out” to my 42nd year on the earth last night with a visit to the Spa on the Plaza, and uh… So good. Afterwards, I hit up the steam room, and since nobody was there (I was one of the last appointments of the day), I spread out a bunch of towels, laid down, tucked a towel underneath my neck, and sweated it out.
The spa had these fancy showers with three shower heads — one directly overhead, one than hits you from the front, and one that hits from the side — and no joke, I was in there for 30 minutes! It. Was. Glorious.
The spa was stocked — shampoo, conditioner, body wash, razors — but halfway through I remembered one time when Cindy, Jen and I went to a spa a few years back, and Jen brought her own body scrub, hair mask and face mask to turn the fancy spa shower into an “experience,” and I wish I’d thought of doing that this time.
Maybe (hopefully) next birthday.
Now, we’re off to the aquarium! I have it on good authority that Dori and Nemo were last spotted there… ?
Here are some stories last week that caught my eye…
- The Fenty Effect is officially a thing now, as more and more brands are offering a wider range of foundation shades. /li>
- There’s a small but growing pro-gray hair community on social media, and it’s starting to shake up the hair care industry.
- This month I started testing products from Frank Beauty, an Australian line available in the U.S. now, and this article talks about one of the co-founders, Bree Johnson, and how she and her partners built the company into a global brand.
- Makeup artist Thomas de Kluyver is new to me, but he’s been doing club-inspired makeup since his club days in the ’90s. Now he’s famous for his magazine and runway work. His style isn’t what I’d wear most days, but I love his artistry and how he uses color in unconventional ways.
- This is what it’s like to have a custom-made perfume created for you by the Queen of England’s personal perfumer.
- I can’t believe there are people out there who’d need or want this, buuuuut if you’ve been hoping for a ring that shoots out perfume every time someone calls your cell, HERE YA GO.
- Speaking of technology, this rotating kitty litter machine looks absolutely terrifying, but it allegedly makes it easier to scoop poop.
- I’ve gotta thank this guy — well, technically thank his nose! — for creating one of my fave scents of the ’90s: CK One. Master perfumer Alberto Morillas, also the nose behind Marc Jacobs Daisy, Estée Lauder Pleasures and Kenzo Flower, was shocked by the success of CK One. About it he says…
“In all honesty, I never expected CK One to be that famous. Sure, I hope all of my creations are successful, but I never knew it would be so quick and leave such a lasting impact,” he says. “In as little as three months, everyone in the world wanted CK One, and it’s the first time something like that had happened in my career. Young women, men, everybody enjoyed wearing it and that was such a unique thing — it still is. In the world of perfumery, things like that don’t happen very often.”
Have you seen any beauty products that contain “starfish fluid,” because, apparently, it’s a thing? Like a dairy farmer, fishermen in Canada milk fluid from starfish for use by the cosmetic industry.
Seriously, who knew?!
Have a wonderful weekend, whatever you’re up to. See you soon.
Your friendly neighborhood beauty addict,